Saluki Spokes community Bike Watch
Do you cycle on campus? Do you worry about the safety and security of your bicycle? Here is an opportunity to get involved.
Saluki Spokes’ Bike Watch is designed to combat bicycle theft on the SIU Campus by getting the community involved. This works like the “Amber Alert” system on a small scale. The Bike Watch community helps find the bike by keeping on the lookout for bikes that are posted on this sight. The quicker the information is posted the better the results.
Here’s how it works:
Before your bike is stolen:
- Register your bike with the SIU Parking Division.
- Send us an email stating you are interested, so that we can add you to the list of participants or be our friend on Facebook.
- Take a picture of your bike, and record down the serial number, make, model, color, defining features, etc. (if you need help, come to the Craft Shop!).
If your bike is stolen:
- Report the theft to the Campus Police: 618/453-3771 or Carbondale Police: 618/457-3200 depending on where it was stolen. Then report it to Saluki Spokes Bike Watch Announcement Service by emailing the picture and recorded information to firstname.lastname@example.org or Bike Watch on Facebook.
- Saluki Spokes will contact all members of Bike Watch with a posting containing all information.
- Members help get the word out and help look for your bike.
- When found, the owners will be contacted. The owner of the bike may need to call Campus Police or Carbondale Police to retrieve the bike.
In addressing this issue, the SIU Saluki Spokes program hopes to enhance the option of bicycling for all students, faculty, and staff here at SIU, as we all know that bicycling is a healthy, affordable, environmentally friendly way to get where we need to go everyday!
Remember, the more participation we have, the more successful the program will be!