Saluki Express Main Content
Transloc - Track the bus in real time!
The Saluki Express Buses can be tracked in real time via Transloc, either on your web browser, mobile device, or by text! Simply text the word SIUC, leave a space, and then the actual bus stop number. You will receive a text with the estimated times of upcoming arrivals to that stop. Message and data rates may apply. Visit the Transloc site for more details.
Fares and Bus Passes
- Students at SIU in Carbondale ride at no additional cost with a valid student ID.
- Bus passes for unlimited rides are available at the Business Office Windows on the 2nd floor of the Student Center. Fall, Spring,and Summer passes are valid from the first day of break after the previous term ends until the last day of finals. Monthly passes are only valid for thirty days from the date of purchase. Passes may be purchased prior to or during the respective period. Rates for Fall, Spring, and Summer passes are as follows: $52 for SIU Carbondale faculty, staff, and the general public; $52 for CESL students; $42 for spouses and children of SIU Carbondale students. Monthly passes are $18 per month for everyone.
- Regular fare for non-pass holders is $1.00. Exact change only.
- Children under five ride free when accompanied by an adult. Children must be seated with an adult.
- Children under 13 ride for half price when accompanied by an adult (Pass Required).
- Children’s half price fare pass available at the Student Center Business Windows, located on the 2nd Floor.
- All passengers are required to display a valid SIU Carbondale ID or a bus pass. If neither of these items are displayed to the driver, $1.00 must be deposited in the fare box. Anyone failing to comply may be instructed to leave the bus. A class schedule will not be accepted in lieu of a student ID.
- The driver reserves the right to deny entrance to any individual displaying unruly or belligerent behavior. If the individual is on the bus, he/she may be asked to leave at the next scheduled bus stop.
- There is no smoking or open alcohol permitted on the bus. No pets or bicycles are allowed on the bus.
- Items brought on bus cannot be stored in the seats, bus aisles or wheelchair station areas.
- Service may vary from the published schedule in the event of severe weather, construction, or other unforeseen conditions.
- Schedules are subject to change when system alterations are required; any deviations from the original schedule will be announced prior to implementation.
- Saluki Express is funded by SIU Carbondale student fees, fare box revenues, and bus pass sales. Many bus routes and policies originate with the Mass Transit Advisory Council. If you have any questions or concerns contact the Saluki Express Office (618/453-5749) or Beck Bus (618/549-2877) during business hours (Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm).
Helpful Riding Hints
- Use Transloc (siuc.transloc.com) to see the live updates of bus arrivals.
- Arrive at our stop a few minutes ahead of the time the bus is due to arrive. Saluki Express drivers make every effort to operate on schedule, however, arriving a few minutes early will help to ensure the at buses are not missed.
- Please wait at designated Bus Stop locations. This makes it easier for the driver to tell if you are waiting for the bus.
- Please have your student ID, pass or $1.00 fare ready when boarding, this will help the driver keep on schedule.
- After dark, passengers may request drop-off anywhere along the route as long as the driver deems it safe to do so. Please announce the location of your requested stop to the driver ahead of time.
- Please refrain from smoking, drinking alcohol and littering on the Saluki Express, it will make for a more comfortable ride for all passengers.
- Please check the bus schedule for specific arrival and departure times. Certain stops include a brief waiting period.
During University holidays and vacation periods the Saluki Express will operate a specially designed break route. This will be the only route in operation during these times.* The only days during break periods that the route will not run are Thanksgiving Day (November 28), Christmas Day (December 25), and New Year’s Day (January 1). Below is a list of the scheduled break periods during which the Saluki Express Break Route will be in operation. During these times, it will be the only route in operation.
Friday, July 3, 2015 - Saturday, July 4, 2015
Saturday, August 8, 2015 - Wednesday, August 19, 2015
Monday, September 7, 2015
Saturday, October 10, 2015 - Tuesday, October 13, 2015
Wednesday, November 11, 2015
Friday, November 27, 2015 - Sunday, November 29, 2015
(Buses will not run on Thanksgiving Day)
Saturday, December 19, 2015 - Friday, January 15, 2016
(Buses will not run on Christmas Day & New Year’s Day)
Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday:
Monday, January 18, 2016
Saturday, March 12, 2016 - Sunday, March 20, 2016
Saturday, May 14, 2016 - Sunday, June 12, 2016
*Please check the Bus Route schedule for times of service.